Thursday, January 14, 2010

Project Thursday

I love Project Thursdays! It keeps me on my toes and scrapping or card making.  This week I have been busy working on an explosion box. I have seen them done 2 different ways and thought I would take a stab at combining these techniques to come up with something a bit different. 
The first type of explosion box is from a 12x12 piece of card stock, scored at 4 and 8 inches on both sides creating a 4 inch box in the middle. has the 4 corners cut out.
If you like, layers are added each with the corners cut out but the layer is a bit smaller than the next. 11 1/2 in square then 11 inch square and so on up to 4 or 5 inner layers. This is a very nice box that holds a lot of pictures, or other goodies. 


The other is a 12x12 piece of card stock (a sturdy double sided card stock is best) that is also scored at 4 and 8 inches on both sides (just like the other version). You will cut on the 4 inch score line on each side.


When you are done with this one all 9 boxes can be decorated with pictures, tags, or a 3D decoration in the center. It's really up to you. I know many have seen or done these before but I had to look around for instruction that I could understand and thought I would share these with you.


Now, I made version 2 and used that as the base of my explosion box and then made several layers ala version 1 and I would like to point out that you really need to use a strong adhesive when attaching the layers, these boxes will be touched, tugged a lot and really need to be secure.


The box when done will need a cover and I have made them 2 ways, folded origami style - if you are interested I will post a tutorial on how to do this, or a simple folded square, which is below.


If you cannot read the directions on the cover graphic, click on it and it will take you to a blowup of the graphic.


Now here is my explosion box!










The small box in the middle is from Tags Bags Boxes and More cut at fit to page.  The card stock is DCWV ,  and My Minds Eye. 


I am going to make another one and this time I think I will leave the layers all at 11 and 1/2 inch square to have more room for larger picture. I will post it when it is done.


Next week I will have cards from the Wild Card Cartridge. Do you have this cartridge?  If so how do you use it? Cards, layouts? It's a very versatile and the font is really one of the best. I do not have lots of cartridges but I would like to do a focused Project Thursday by including at least 1 project from one of my cartridges each week until I have to restart OR buy a new one. LOL... 


See you next week. Please leave a comment!

4 comments:

  1. I can't wait to try my hand at making one of these! Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have wondered how to make an explosion box so I thank you very much. I have the Wildcard cart so am looking forward to what you do with that. I am having problems with it....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for the explanation of these boxes! You did it very simply and the box looks great!
    Kris in Alaska

    ReplyDelete

Thank you, I appreciate your comments!